Search for a Social Security Office by City or Zip Code
How do I use the Social Security Office Locator?
This Social Security office locator allows you to search for any Social Security office location. Choose above whether you would like to search for a social security office near you or by another zip code. If you search near you, it will provide a list of any social security offices within 40 miles of your location.
Are all Social Security Offices in The United States included in the locator?
Not only are all offices in the United States included in the directory, but it also includes offices in Puerto Rico and all U.S. territories.
What information will I get about each Social Security office?
Once you have found the office you would like to visit, you can click on the link to that office where you will find all the information needed for a smooth and successful visit, including, hours, address, phone number, directions, a map, services offered, and much more.
What documents will I need to have with me?
Depending on the purpose of your Social Security Office visit, you’ll most likely need to bring documentation such as:
- Birth certificate
- Proof of United States citizenship or legal US residency
- Social Security Card
- Proof of address
- Bank statements and/or proof of income
You can find more information here on what documents you may need for your visit.
What in-person services are provided at a Social Security Office?
Many services are available at your local Social Security Office, including, but not limited to:
- Request a new or replacement Social Security card
- Submit name and address changes
- Review your Social Security statement or earnings history
- Estimate your retirement benefits
- Get a copy of your proof of benefits
- Apply for Social Security retirement benefits
- Apply for benefits for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI)
- Apply for Social Security spousal or survivor benefits
- Apply for Medicare or get a replacement Medicare card
- Set up, or make changes to, direct deposit for your Social Security benefits
How do I make an appointment at a social security office and will it save time?
It is always advisable to make an appointment before visiting a Social Security office. You can make an appointment by calling 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 8:00 am and 7:00 pm, or directly call the local office you want to visit. Appointments are rarely available the same day or even the same week, so it is advisable to plan ahead.
An appointment will save you time on the day of your visit, though if you have a more urgent matter, you probably have no choice but to go to your nearest office and wait in line. If the service you are needing is available online, this is another option if you are time constrained.